Thursday, January 28, 2010

Adventures

So since I've been here for four days already I have a lot of things to write about so I'm going to skip some of the stupid stuff like exploring the school etc. Yesterday we went on a walking tour of Rome where we saw beautiful views of the city and some of the most unbelievable places in the world!! We went to Piazza Venezia which has an unbelievable Monumento di Vittorio Emanuela which is giant and so breathtaking its unbeleiable. Across from the piazza is Via Del Corso which is the big shopping road like Newbury street kinda of thing. Past Piazza Venezia is the Colusuem. At night the coluseum was amazing it was so shocking to think I was really there looking at this amazing building that has been there for so long and behind the walls gladiators fought and were killed! Its really surreal, its the only way to really describe it. And sadly the my camera does none of these justice because being here is obviously much better, but the flash and such are just not easy to use with these huge open air spaces. So today and yesterday we went to Trastevere which has the Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere. It was so beautiful and all the decorations were stunning. After this adventure we walked across the river to the city center and finally got cell phones. Its literally like im in eighth grade when my cell phone was pretty basic...same deal here. It will take some getting used to not having the keyboard on my phone but i guess I'll do it like the romans do? So then we went to the Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi) which has got to be my favorite thing I have seen so far. IT IS UNREAL! I threw a coin over my shoulder and there is something like I'm supposed to be ensured that I come back to Rome in 7 years? and if I threw two I would come back in 7 years with my true love. Who knows but I threw only one seeing that I am sure I will be throwing more coins and I don't wanna jynx it by throwing too many. Now don't think we know where we are going, its a little bit harder to navigate than I thought. Luckily, the boys have a roommate from BC who was studying here last semester too so he's knows all the ins and outs of Rome. Peter is our personal tour guide and he is a great sport about it haha After this we went to the Pantheon because it was raining, and the Pantheon is totally just as unreal and amazing. Because there is a hole in the domed ceiling, the rain comes through the middle and reflects the light and its amazing. I feel so bad writing about all these amazing places because I don't even have words to describe them well enough and do them justice. I will be posting pictures eventually when I figure out how to do that. So beyond all the amazing history we saw today, we also got up early to go to the fresh market that is right around the corner from us. Its one of the best places to get produce and meats because it is soooo fresh but it is also very cheap. I bought prosciutto, mozzarella, tomatoes and some apples bigger than my fist and I can't wait to go back for more stuff. The only problem is it closes at noon so you really need to be on your game and get up, which can be extremely difficult when you were out til 4am....(stories of nightlife to come later!). So I'm going to go make my delicious dinner which im really excited for so I'll write again later!

No comments:

Post a Comment