Thursday, January 28, 2010

Finally A Roma!

So I'm going to write a blog because I want to remember all the amazing adventures and food! Don't expect anything too exciting, cute or witty, because I am far from a great linguist and I am definitely not that eloquent, but I will try! My time here I plan on living by one motto: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!" so I'll be trying a lot of new things and having a ton of fun!!

So now IM FINALLY HERE!! I finally made it to Rome after being teased by everyone who was in Europe already. Its just as beautiful as I thought, but a little defiled because there is graffiti everywhere, and apparently no one picks up after their dogs either. When we were picked up at the airport, it was really interesting to see all the cars because the Fiat and Smart Cars are everywhere and there really isn't any SUVS because they're not practical. These cars whip down the roads with zero consideration for people and they are fearless drivers! Not to mention the motorinos which like vespas and small motorcycles weave in and out and go faster than the cars. We squeezed down a one way street with cars packed on either side. How we didnt take off anyones mirror is beyond me. Our apartment is on the 5th floor which is really nice. We have like 5 terraces and two of them are huge and have beautiful views. There are five people from BC in my house and one new roommate who just arrived today (three days in, im a little late starting). My direct roommate is Chrissy who I met before we came and we're like the same person so this is working out nicely! Only issues with our house is that our phone is very testy and doesn't really like to make phone calls and its freezing! The heat is only turned on for a limited amount of time every day in Italy, its regulated by the gov't and our house is so big the heaters are pretty lame. I wish I had more hangers and I wish I had more space to store stuff, some of my stuff is on the floor which for anyone who knows me is NOT ok. But overall, I was very impressed with our apartment.
I have a lot more to talk about the last few days but I need to go to this cute outdoor market before it closes so I'll finish my first three days of adventures at a later time!!

1 comment:

  1. Saw the apartment house on google Maps and it looks really nice. I didn't know they had palm trees in Rome!!

    ReplyDelete