Monday, February 8, 2010

Life As A Roman

Sorry about the epic fail with trying to blog consistently. I have a mild case of ADD which leads me to why it takes me forever to remember to post as well as finish what I started. This week, my roommates and I had our first discoteca experience. It was pretty much like what it sounds like, disco mixed with techno. There was low lighting, colroful lights and dancing. The dancing was a lot of fun especially early in the night when we were clearly discotech rookies and arrived earlier than 1, so naturally it was empty. So one's first move when they enter a bar or discoteca is usually to buy a drink. Well, apparently things were not expensive enough in Europe because one beer in this discoteca was 10 Euro (about 15 US dollars)!!! So needless to say we didn't buy any. We had a lot of fun meeting some of the neighboring schools students and ran into some friends from BC which was nice too! The rest of the weekend was a lot more sightseeing and such. We went back to Piazza Venezia and walked around the Monumento di Vittorio Emmanuele (which seems that every Italian is named after). Around the back is a beautiful view of the roman forum and the Colosseum. It is always so surreal when I see it because it amazes me how real it is but how old it is!
We also went exploring to the Spanish Steps which are beautiful, but a little anticlimactic. I don't really know what I was expecting, but there aren't as many steps as I thought there would be. However, the way they are laid out is pretty and the church at the top had some of the most beautiful niches on the sides. Every church inside seems to look the same, but so different because of how intricate all the designs are. From the Spanish Steps we walked to Piazza Del Popolo which is at the far end of Via Del Corso (the main shopping street) and it was very large and pretty. There are a lot of obelisks around the city which is fascinating because they are from Egypt. I haven't quite figured out the history behind them yet but I think the first emperor Augustus brought them, but those facts are to be checked later. We went shopping some more for the rest of the weekend and I only bought one shirt! I was very proud at my restraint, but it is very hard since all the sales are only here for a few weeks. Every store has a sale during the end of January and beginning of February so they should be leaving us shortly. I guess it is good that I didn't buy anything because when I tried to use my credit card today to buy books (an actual necessary expense) I was mortified when the booksale lady told me it was denied. I knew no one had stolen it because I was trying to use it! I guess between the hour and half of my last class and the book buying attempt, my mom had emailed me to warn me that my bank had called saying there was a purchase on the credit card. It was actually my flight to Madrid that I booked and they probably thought I stole it and was trying to flee and leave the country. But if they had paid attention to the hour I spent on the phone with them before I left, they would know I was abroad and would be spending a lot of money traveling! Well it really isn't a big deal because I have another card! and another day to buy books, so hopefully all will be well by the time I wake up in the morning. I will try to post again soon and get better with my posting habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment