Thursday, March 18, 2010

AS Roma V AC Milan! and little shopping

Last Saturday, after BC left Rome (sad), we thought we would use our time wisely and go to a soccer, calcio, game. AS Roma is our team, colors conveniently maroon and a goldish-yellow, and they were ranked 3rd in the league and AC Milan (which Beckham plays for) was ranked 2nd and whoever won this game would be in 2nd. We luckily found tickets for only 12.50 euro, which was a steal compared to my other friends who paid 45. As we walked into the stadium, it was just like an American one, but there were glass barricade separating sections, especially the the rounded part on the ends from the sides. The purpose of these were made very clear later in the game. As we walked in we headed up the stairs and asked where our seats were, assuming nosebleeds for the price. Surprisingly, we were directed down to the third row directly behind the net!! To me, these were great seats because I was close, but apparently to real soccer fans, they are crappy seats because you can't really see the action. Glad I was naiive because I was pumped!! Around us were all the Italians, who I learned in my class later were the Ultra. The Ultra are the most fanatic fans, usually violent and very vulgar. They are the ones who bring in flags and banners to try to intimidate the other team and they are very rambunctious. Luckily they weren't violent where we were, only we heard lots of Italian profanities the entire time.

Because this game was such a big one, the entire stadium was packed!! We cheered along with the Italians, and figured out some of the songs and chants for our team. One song they italians sing is Roma, Roma, Roma, which is equivalent to Sweet Caroline at the Red Sox games, but it was a lot slower and kind of boring compared to what I was expecting. I couldn't figure out how to add this link or post it as a video because I am computer challeneged, so if you're interested check out the song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xigDH384K0

So after all our cheering and the excitement that we saw Beckham play, it was a 0-0 game. No goals...so pretty anticlimactic. Regardless it was still a ton of fun and can't wait to go to another one!

That Sunday, all my roommates were away except Anastasia, so she and I woke up early and went to the flea market called Porta Portese. We met up with our guy friend Steve and spent hours shopping a browsing. Its one of the largest markets in Europe and has everything you can imagine. There are a lot of tables with piles of clothes, and anything on that table is only 1 or 2 euros. I thought that was kinda gross but apparently its totally acceptable and kosher. They have shoes, antiques, jewlery and furs. You can get fur for so cheap I am considering buying one, but haven't yet. I bought a ROMA t-shirt because I didn't buy one at the game before. Also, I was looking for a leather jacket and found a pretty cute camel colored one that fit me really nicely. With a little bargaining we brought the coat from 25 down to 15 euro, so obviously I bought it! It was totally a steal and has been awesome for the newly spring weather we are having. The market is something we have in America, but it is a totally different experience in Rome. I think Dad would really like it, it has a lots of antiques and the atmosphere is just buzzing. I am going to try to go more, but it ends around 1 which I am not usually up for on Sundays or I am traveling. Hopefully next time I can find some great deals again!

No comments:

Post a Comment